How to Properly Jump Start a Car
Let’s say you try to start the engine in North Haven and your car just won’t cooperate, what do you do? You can call a jump start car service or you can take matters into your own hands. Learning the proper way to jump start a car can save you from a major headache while out and about in New Haven, and it only takes minimal equipment. Find out how to properly jump start a car with Hamden Mazda, and be sure to visit us for all your automotive needs.
Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
If you need to jump start car battery, you’ll need two basic things. First, you’ll need a good set of jumper cables. If you don’t have any on hand, pick some up at any automotive parts department. Second, you’ll need to find a good samaritan who is willing to help out. Then, follow these steps:
- Make sure that both cars are parked close enough to connect the jumper cables. Engage both parking brakes and turn off the engine to start.
- Find the batteries on both cars. You might need to remove a plastic hood to get to the battery terminals.
- Find the positive and negative terminals on both batteries, and check to make sure they are free of corrosion.
- Connect the red jumper cable clamp to the positive post on the dead battery. Attach the other red jumper cable clamp to the positive post on the working battery.
- Put the black jumper cable clamp on the negative post of the working battery. Attach the final black jumper cable clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Ask the driver of the working vehicle to start their car once all cables have been secured.
- Try to start the car with the dead battery. Once the battery starts, remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were connected.
- Keep your car running for at least 10 minutes to ensure that your battery receives sufficient charge. Check your owner’s manual for more information for your specific make and model.
Troubleshooting Your Battery Problems
Your battery is a crucial component of your car’s performance, so familiarizing yourself with the more common car battery problems can help you spot problems early on. Here are some top tips from our service department:
- One of the most common sources of battery drain is the headlights. Avoid leaving your headlights on for prolonged periods of time unless necessary..
- If you drive over bumpy roads, check your battery for loose terminals. These can break the connection between your car and its battery.
- Watch for corrosion. A corroded diode can cause major battery damage, and you might even need a replacement battery if the damage is too severe.
- Even well-maintained batteries have their shelf life, so make a battery check a part of your routine maintenance plan to keep tabs on your battery life and fluid levels.
Get Quality Car Service with Hamden Mazda
Whether your car won’t jump start or you’re looking for a set of jumper cables, visit Hamden Mazda in Hamden to learn more about the proper way to jump start a car. Your North Haven or Wallingford car will be in good hands with us. Contact us with your questions or stop by to chat with our experts today!